Friday, February 24, 2023

Wine Tasting - Tilia Torrontes

 The Basics:

  • Grape Variety - Torrontes
  • Country of Origin - Argentina
  • Region of Origin - Mendoza
  • Vintage Year - 2022
  • Price - $10.99
Winemaker's Review:
"Pale yellow color with greenish hues. Intense nose of passion fruit, citrus, and freshly cut grass.  Fresh, concentrated vegetal and tropical flavors on the palate.  Long and persistent finish."

Wine Folly Reference (177):
This is Argentina's own white is really only grown in this part of the world with few exceptions.  It may smell sweet, but it's usually dry to the taste with notes of Meyer lemon, peach, rose petal, geranium, and citrus zest. 

My Review:
When I tried this wine, I was drinking out of a rubber wine glass (it was an interesting night for sure) so throughout the tasting, I got a lot of rubbery taste and smell - which probably isn't the best.  I smelled quite a bit of acid - especially citrus, but otherwise no major scents.  The initial taste is pretty minerally and dry, but then it opens up into this taste of honeysuckle, apricot, grapefruit, a bit of cut grass, a bit of orange blossom/geranium, and even a white peach.  The fruits all work together to create a sense of natural sweetness that doesn't overwhelm the otherwise dry wine.  The wine then finishes pretty dry and acidic in a refreshing way. 

This wine came at the suggestion of a professor I work with - and she nailed it.  I really enjoyed the lightness of this wine with its rich fruity complex.  I think this was the first wine I tasted where I hit a large majority of the flavor notes without knowing them ahead of time - both from the winemaker's reference and the Wine Folley Text.  I would happily drink this wine again and pair it with a meal at the end of a long summer day poolside.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting - Lapis Luna Cabernet Sauvignon

  The Basics: Grape Variety - Cabernet Sauvignon Country of Origin - United States Region of Origin - Lodi, California Vintage Year - 2020 P...