Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Introduction

 Yay first blog post!  I'm really looking forward to this class - and especially to learn firsthand the language of wine.  I recently turned 22, so I've had some experience drinking wine, although I haven't been able to explore wines as much as I'd like.  Most of what I've drank consists of cheap wine I find from the grocery store with a somewhat familiar-looking bottle or something from my parent's wine rack back home.  The things my parents have pulled out at family dinners have mostly left a positive note on my tongue, but usually not satisfying my tastes perfectly (which is alright).  Many times it's a dry white wine with my mom while cooking dinner, and then a richer, slightly bitter red with dinner (especially when there's beef on the menu).  

When it comes to my drinking preferences; I'm pretty open to what, when, and how much I drink.  I've always been the type of person who prefers to drink to feel buzzed (or as mentioned in one of the first lectures - a social lubricant) in smaller settings with friends; not so much being out on the town for hours on end.  Over the past couple of months, I've also taken risks of trying "new" drinks beyond seltzers in cans - one of which is wine.  Whites and roses were more approachable to me because of their sweeter, fruitier, and less intense flavor, but reds have been slowly growing on me (keyword being slowly).  The major turnoff for me when it comes to wines is their bitter aftertaste and also when the drink feels quite heavy on my tongue (not sure how else to describe that feeling at the moment).  

When it comes to my personal learning objectives from this course, there are three big things I'd like to gain:

1. Gain a better knowledge of wine so I can be more knowledgeable about the types of wine and speak about drinking in a more informed manner. I'd like to be able to buy bottles too based on their flavor profile rather than a pretty label (which is definitely not how I pick wine now...).   

2.  Be better informed about the wine industry, especially when it comes to ethical issues.  This is so I can be a more informed, ethical buyer and speaker when it comes to others.  

3.  Learn more about the culture of drinking wine in both formal and informal settings.  I've experienced a few meetings and trips with colleagues involving wine after working hours; and with more coming in the future with higher stakes, the last thing I'd like to do is embarrass myself in front of important colleagues/bosses when it comes to ordering drinks.  


*** Though not a picture of me drinking wine, one of my favorite memories was exploring Charlotte, North Carolina during a summer internship and navigating the drinking scene outside of Blacksburg.  It was definitely different, to say the least. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting - Lapis Luna Cabernet Sauvignon

  The Basics: Grape Variety - Cabernet Sauvignon Country of Origin - United States Region of Origin - Lodi, California Vintage Year - 2020 P...