Sunday, January 22, 2023

Tasting - Dark Horse Pino Noir

 The basics:

  • Grape Variety - Pino Noir
  • Country of Origin - United States
  • Region of Origin - California
  • Vintage Year - 2021
  • Price - $7.99

Total Wine Review:
"California - Smoothness, complexity and a great price are the strong points of this medium-bodied wine.  It has wonderful raspberry, cedar, and red-cherry flavors, light tannins, a polished feel on the palate, and lingering finish."

Wine Folly Reference (150):
The wine is from a red fruit with a light body.  Flavors include spices and long, smooth, soft-tannin finish with notes of cherry, raspberry, clove, mushroom, and vanilla.  

My Review:
Visually, the wine is a lighter red, closer to a garnet-y color, than I was anticipating.  I can smell the tannins/bitterness of the wine right after pouring the wine, with a hint of sweetness too.  The first taste of the wine I get is a slight richness and bitterness, but not a heaviness which was really pleasant.  I was able to taste some hints of fruitiness at the beginning and then the cherry notes came out, but I wasn't able to taste any other notes at any point.  The wine finishes off with a light sweetness and the feeling of tannins on your tongue afterward.  No food was consumed before tasting.  It may be important to note that I had this wine opened a few days before I drank it since I used it in cooking, so the wine had plenty of time to aerate before I drank it for the tasting.  

Overall, it was really pleasant to drink and wasn't overwhelming, which made it really easy to finish my glass and want another.  I liked the flavor profile of the wine, although I wish the fruitier notes were more present. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting - Lapis Luna Cabernet Sauvignon

  The Basics: Grape Variety - Cabernet Sauvignon Country of Origin - United States Region of Origin - Lodi, California Vintage Year - 2020 P...