Friday, February 3, 2023

Tasting - Cantarranas Verdejo

 The basics:

  • Grape Variety - Verdejo
  • Country of Origin - Spain
  • Region of Origin - Castilla Y Leon
  • Vintage Year - 2021
  • Price - $11.99
Decanter Review:
"Keen herbal, lemon, pear, and floral notes burst deliciously through the nose onto the palate. Mineral, crunch inflections to the finish and aftertaste.  The concentration of flavor is up there too.  A wine with a bright finish that a wide audience will enjoy - and such a great value!" (DWWA, 2022)

Wine Folly Reference (181):
The wine is an herbaceous white wine that grows almost exclusively in the Rueda region of Spain (not to be confused with the Verdelho, which is a Portuguese grape used in Maderia).  The wine is high in acidity with a subtle bitterness with notes of lime, honeydew, grapefruit pith, fennel, and white peach.  

My Review:
The wine had a really sweet smell initially - slightly citrusy and also with a hint of watermelon.  Some of the first flavors tasted included the watermelon from my initial smell, a hint of lemon, white peach, and a bit of lime, but it wasn't as sweet as I thought it was going to be based on the smell.  The wine was super fruity all the way through before finishing on a drier note.  I didn't drink the wine with anything in particular, but I did have it after completing my wine dinner. I think I would have been able to get more out of it had I drank it before eating, though I was still able to touch some of the tasting notes after drinking heavier, sweeter wines.  

This has been one of my favorite wines I've sampled for the course.  Its super light, citrusy flavors really appealed to me without being overly sweet, and it was a great wine to drink on its own.  I would be happy to get this bottle again and try to pair it with seafood or chicken (especially something Spanish to match the wine's origin). 

     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Tasting - Lapis Luna Cabernet Sauvignon

  The Basics: Grape Variety - Cabernet Sauvignon Country of Origin - United States Region of Origin - Lodi, California Vintage Year - 2020 P...